Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, April 5, 2010

RE: Faith and Scriptures.

"I was thinking that sometimes when I am having a difficult finding the time/motivation for the kind of scripture study time that I would like to have I feel like I'm not giving myself a chance to build my faith and so I feel like it's in danger of dropping off. But I just had the realization that the scriptures are really more like an aid to our faith. They the revelations about the truths of the gospel that are important for us to understand in while we attempt to live the gospel and the context in which those revelations came, and also give us a record of how other people lived the gospel.

I feel like our main source of faith is from our lives, feeling the Holy Ghost from reading the scriptures or as we pray or while we're thinking about some gospel topics, or the love we feel as we hear others bear their testimonies. Undoubtedly, reading the scriptures gives more for our brains to chew on that can allow these spiritual experiences to take place, but maybe this realization may help me deal with the guilt that I sometimes trip myself with over never taking the time to become a scriptorian or learning Hebrew and Greek and Latin, or it remove the need I feel to tell myself that someday I'll take a few months break to catch up on all the institute/seminary lessons I missed (when I know that the possibility of having a chance to do that would be slim to none). But I guess the main thing is just that I don't let all the past scripture learning I've missed out on cause me to question my faith. My faith in God and His plan has come from my own feelings and thoughts and experiences.

That said, I owe much of that to the scriptures and really should work on my daily scripture study, and maybe think about adapting Pres. Eyring's method of paying more attention to what the Lord is doing in my life."

[blog #8]

There is always going to be something temporal that seems to be more important than something spiritual. Maybe not more important per say, but seemingly less forgiving. I.E. if you put off taking a huge test, there is really no second chance, where as the Lord will always give you second chances.
It's no secret that studying the scriptures daily has an array of fantastic benefits for your life and well being.
It's no secret that Latter Day Saints should know this, and prioritize accordingly.
BUT, we continue to put it off anyway. And we continue to write things and say things like "I need to study my scriptures more." The time has come to stop saying things and start doing things. And I mean that mostly for myself.
Because this isn't news, it's not some sort of sudden, new revelation that we need to read scriptures more, the scriptures are the foundation of our church, and we should treat it as such.

No comments: